[Skip to content]

Children in park

Concerns regarding people who work with children and young people

Allegations against people who work or volunteer with children and young people

Children and young people can be subject to harm by those who work with them in any setting. This may be by a professional, staff member, foster carer or volunteer. All allegations must be taken seriously and treated in accordance with East Riding Safeguarding Children Partnership procedures. These procedures apply to all organisations within the East Riding who have contact with children and young people or provide staff or volunteers to work with or care for children and young people.

Allegations of abuse made against people who work with children (pdf 339 kb opens in a new window)


What should I do if I receive an allegation, complaint or a concern about a member of staff or volunteer?

The person to whom an allegation or concern is reported should not question the child or investigate the matter further:

Do not

  • investigate or ask leading questions if seeking clarification;
  • make assumptions or offer alternative explanations;
  • promise confidentiality, but give assurance that the information will only be shared on a ‘need to know’ basis;
  • ask children to make written statements. This could undermine any potential investigation;
  • speak to the adult concerned at this stage.


  • treat the matter seriously and keep an open mind;
  • make a written record of the information (where possible in the child's own words), including the time, date and place of incident(s), persons present and what was said;
  • report the matter immediately to the Designated Officer/Senior Manager in his/her absence the LADO directly;
  • make some basic preliminary enquiries or checks to establish if the allegation is possible.

Top of page

Where do I report allegations regarding a person who works and volunteers with children and young people?

The Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) works for East Riding Safeguarding Children Partnership and should be alerted to all cases in which it is alleged that a person who works with children has:

  • behaved in a way that has harmed, or may have harmed, a child
  • possibly committed a criminal offence against children, or related to a child
  • behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates s/he is unsuitable to work with children.

How do I contact East Riding’s Local Authority Designated Officer?

For Education and School Allegations please contact the Child Protection Officer for Schools on (01482) 392139.

For Agencies and Organisations Allegations contact the LADO on (01482) 396999.

Safeguarding in Education - Managing Allegation - Advice for Head Teachers, Senior Staff and Governors (464 KB) opens in a new window

Top of page