[Skip to content]

Children playing in park

Parents, carers, family and friends

Good parenting involves caring for children’s basic needs which includes:

  • keeping them safe;
  • showing them warmth and love;
  • providing the stimulation needed for their development and to help them achieve their potential;
  • providing a stable environment where they experience consistent guidance and boundaries.

As a parent, carer, neighbour or anyone in contact with children and families you may at times have concerns about the welfare of a child. These could be concerns about their development, appearance or behaviour which may indicate signs of abuse.

What to do if you are worried a child is being abused (pdf 320kb opens in a new window)

What should I do if I am concerned about a child?

It is important to act as quickly as possible if you think a child is being harmed.

If you think a child may be in danger, is at risk, is being mistreated or you have concerns about a child's well-being you should pass on your concerns to children's social care or the police.

If you think a child is being abused or neglected, contact:

The Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (01482) 395500
9.00am to 5.00pm - Monday to Friday

Out of hours contact number
Emergency Duty Team (01377) 241273

If a child is suffering abuse and requires urgent attention because of immediate danger, call the police on 999.

Further information on support for families, children’s social care and the process can be found on:

East Riding of Yorkshire Council Support for Families webpage

Information and Advice

There is a range of national organisations and charities that provide help and advice to parents/carers.

NSPCC Helpline - Tel. 0808 800 50000 or online at:

NSPCC Website (external link)

MindEd for Families - online advice and support at:

MindEd for Families Website (external link)

Think U Know website - for online safety and child exploitation advice and guidance at:

ThinkUKnow Website (external link)

Top of page